Subscribe to d5 ezine

ΕΠd5 HOME ΕΠd5 & dime SHOP ΕΠCHAT room ΕΠWiccaWIKI ΕΠBLOG ΕΠVIBE ΕΠwebmaster ΕΠThe Realm Ξ•Ξ

Welcome to the d5 forum! This serves as a community board for discussing all things fantasy, whether it be role-playing, publishing, arts, folklore and literature (including comics, manga, anime, collectible cards...) YOU are here because YOU are a fan of the extravagant and unexplainable, along with the rest of us. Virtually all you see here has something to do with anything and everything imaginative, inspiring and socially relevant.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steam Punk Settings  (Read 2935 times)
No.6
Elite Tourist
Scribe

Favorite drink
Raki

« on: May 17, 2010, 03:43:56 PM »

Being a fan of Victorian Sci-Fi, and the Steam Punk type settings, I was wondering what others like in the genre?

I personally tend to stick with three:

1. Space:1889.  Frank Chadwick's brilliant setting, damaged by coming at the end of GDW.  MOst of the materials have since been reprinted, with several supplements now coming in a dual "flip book" format.  One part HG Wells, one part Edgar Rice Burroughs, one part Victorian history.

2. Castle Falkenstein.  This one tends a bit more towards fantasy, kind of like Shadowrun for the Victorian era.  Even so, the setting is well developed, but not overly so, and has some unique spins on some more traditional pieces.

3. War of the Worlds.  This is actually just a rules supplement for Sword and Bayonet colonial miniature rules.  It adds in things like steam powered rifles, steam tanks, Zeppelin dreadnaughts, and alien tripods. 
Lord Infinata
Global Moderator
Bard

Favorite drink
Martini

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 05:21:39 PM »

I have a digital copy of 1889, but haven't dived into it yet. Of the three mentioned, I would probably like this one best.

Here are some I've been meaning to look into:

Iron Kingdoms
Etherscope
Victoriana
Unhallowed Metropolis
Broken Gears

all of these are on the internet.

- Knowledge not shared is useless.
No.6
Elite Tourist
Scribe

Favorite drink
Raki

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 06:24:57 PM »

Interesting, I'll look into those.

Personally, I love the Space:1889 setting.  I've even done a miniatures based game set in it, 55 Days at Syrtis Major.  A take on the siege of the Legations in Peking in 1900, just set on Mars. 

It is a "complete" system, and covers just about everything you can think of, and does so in a manner that provides good depth without over complicating things for the players and GM. 

One thing I've always wanted to do was project out the Space:1889 setting to 1920 or so.  But that's a major under taking that I just haven;t had the wear with all to tackle.

On a semirelated not, there is another "fantasy science" system out there, Gearkrieg, which is based more on WW2 era.
Lord Infinata
Global Moderator
Bard

Favorite drink
Martini

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 06:58:54 PM »

One thing I've always wanted to do was project out the Space:1889 setting to 1920 or so.  But that's a major under taking that I just haven;t had the wear with all to tackle.

You should most certainly check out Call of Cthulhu, which is set in the 1920s or 1990s; you choose. I'm sure you will find plenty of artifacts here!

- Knowledge not shared is useless.
No.6
Elite Tourist
Scribe

Favorite drink
Raki

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 05:44:11 AM »

You should most certainly check out Call of Cthulhu, which is set in the 1920s or 1990s; you choose. I'm sure you will find plenty of artifacts here!

I own everything Cthulhu.  Wink  Including several variants, such as Delta Green.

The rules and such aren't the problem with extending Space:1889 thirty so odd years.  The problems arise in the setting itself.  How does Aether fliers, for example, and the off world colonies impact things like the Boer War, World War 1, etc.  Plus there's the whole geopolitical aspects. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Subscribe to d5 ezine

Return to d5 main page.

Java Fireworks

Ξ•Ξ d5 HOME. ΕΠd5 & dime SHOP ΕΠCHAT room ΕΠWiccaWIKI ΕΠBLOG ΕΠVIBE ΕΠwebmaster ΕΠThe Realm Ξ•Ξ

Dementia Five - The Realm is a privately owned online publishing community for artists and writers. The opinions expressed are those of the authors of the articles posted on this website and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Dementia Five Publishing House. Publication on this website should not be considered an endorsement, and may or may not have copywritten origins. d5 will not be held liable for any damage arising under this disclaimer, or in connection with this website or auxillary websites in the dementia5 domain. d5 does not claim ownership of member posted content outside of posts by the owners, nor do we claim responsibility for said content. Use of this forum, constitutes agreement with these terms which can be suspended at any time by the owners of the website at their discretion. By using our website, you accept this disclaimer in full.