Subscribe to d5 ezine

ΕΠd5 HOME ΕΠd5 & dime SHOP ΕΠCHAT room ΕΠWiccaWIKI ΕΠBLOG ΕΠVIBE ΕΠwebmaster ΕΠThe Realm Ξ•Ξ

Welcome to the d5 forum! This serves as a community board for discussing all things fantasy, whether it be role-playing, publishing, arts, folklore and literature (including comics, manga, anime, collectible cards...) YOU are here because YOU are a fan of the extravagant and unexplainable, along with the rest of us. Virtually all you see here has something to do with anything and everything imaginative, inspiring and socially relevant.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Gunslinger  (Read 2041 times)
Lord Infinata
Global Moderator
Bard

Favorite drink
Martini

« on: May 14, 2010, 03:01:49 PM »

I was a little late in the game with this, but I read the revised 1st installment (The Dark Tower) and thought it was a worthy mention, as it was most certainly a worthy read.

The Dark Tower... this was a very interesting story for me, but I can assure you it will not appeal to everyone. It helps if you are a King fan, but that alone may not save you. It has the usual naïveté of a young King novel, with every event being bombastic and larger than life... but that's all part of its appeal.

A good blend of dark magic and Old West sensibilities, like The Dark Crystal filmed as a spaghetti western.

It wasn't perfect, but I will continue the series. One critic's review of the final book I will never forget: The critic actually retracts his own review of the first book in the series, saying it "took 7 books to get here, but it was a good trip" or something to that effect. Clearly, the storyline progresses something fierce.

The ongoing Marvel series is also very good, with impeccable (as in career topping) artwork had by the hopelessly underated Jae Lee. I also liked the approach Marvel took in collecting all the historical passages of the Gunslinger throughout the series and expressing them chronologically like a preamble, or historical narrative. Check it out!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 03:04:08 PM by Lord Infinata » Logged

- Knowledge not shared is useless.
No.6
Elite Tourist
Scribe

Favorite drink
Raki

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 03:35:33 PM »

The Marvel mini-series' are worthy additions to the Gunslinger Universe.

Just wait until you get into the later books.  Then you'll see just how much of a Marvel fan-boy King is.  Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Subscribe to d5 ezine

Return to d5 main page.

Java Fireworks

Ξ•Ξ d5 HOME. ΕΠd5 & dime SHOP ΕΠCHAT room ΕΠWiccaWIKI ΕΠBLOG ΕΠVIBE ΕΠwebmaster ΕΠThe Realm Ξ•Ξ

Dementia Five - The Realm is a privately owned online publishing community for artists and writers. The opinions expressed are those of the authors of the articles posted on this website and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Dementia Five Publishing House. Publication on this website should not be considered an endorsement, and may or may not have copywritten origins. d5 will not be held liable for any damage arising under this disclaimer, or in connection with this website or auxillary websites in the dementia5 domain. d5 does not claim ownership of member posted content outside of posts by the owners, nor do we claim responsibility for said content. Use of this forum, constitutes agreement with these terms which can be suspended at any time by the owners of the website at their discretion. By using our website, you accept this disclaimer in full.