Subscribe to d5 ezine

ΕΠd5 HOME ΕΠd5 & dime SHOP ΕΠCHAT room ΕΠWiccaWIKI ΕΠBLOG ΕΠVIBE ΕΠwebmaster ΕΠThe Realm Ξ•Ξ

Welcome to the d5 forum! This serves as a community board for discussing all things fantasy, whether it be role-playing, publishing, arts, folklore and literature (including comics, manga, anime, collectible cards...) YOU are here because YOU are a fan of the extravagant and unexplainable, along with the rest of us. Virtually all you see here has something to do with anything and everything imaginative, inspiring and socially relevant.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Character Ideas  (Read 3055 times)
Kris
Bard

Favorite drink
Water

« on: May 02, 2010, 09:52:18 PM »

OK, we're going to be starting up a big new campaign in...probably a couple months.  I've had this character sitting on my computer for months and months.  I can make it work in the system, and in the campaign, but the more I think on it, the dumber it seems.....  It's ridiculously idealized, I'm starting to decide.....  There's some indecisive nonsense in there, too.

Basically I'd like an opinion from other players.  It's pretty different from the characters I usually play, which tend to be stuck up, snooty, bossy bitches (sometimes).  This one is pure benevolence.  She'll be true neutral, willing to aid an enemy as much as a friend (which is why she can't be lawful good...zealous nutters).  Low on combat (but most of my characters are), mostly support, and healing.  For stats, looking at 8, 10, 10, 14, 18, 15 (SDCIWCh).

Anyway, here's a rough version of her:
Celestine

Her mother died only a few months after she was born, having never recovered from the stress of giving birth.  In the absence of a mother, her father showered her with twice as much love and affection to make up for a missing parent.  Though her father was a talented tailor, they more the less led a meager existence.  She never went hungry, even if he did on occasion, as he always put her needs above his own.  He dressed her in white, while he wore browns and grays, and called her his little angel.  The golden hair on her head, which she got from her mother, shone like a halo in the sunlight.  Her eyes, like her father’s and many of his fathers before him, were the color of a clear summer sky. 

As she grew older, her father taught her his trade, which she learned well enough to assist him in his shop by the time she was 10.  Already well into his middle years when he had married and Celestine had been born, Kent Hastings was old and grew sickly in his later years.  Celestine fully took over the tailoring shop when she was 13 and nursed her ailing father until he died the following year.  Orphaned, and with the debts of her father’s care having taken all she owned, Celestine was left with few options.  The local church, where she had gone to pray every day since her father fell ill, gladly welcomed her into its fold.  She offered them her skills as a tailor, and they taught her the ways of _____________.  She added the skills of a healer to her skills with a needle and thread, and she offered them freely to all who were in need.  When alive, her father had encouraged in her a benevolence toward all living things, and she took to the task with a gentle vigor after his death. 

Though quiet and soft spoken, those around her learned to listen when she did decide to speak.  She had a wisdom and grace about her that led many to believe she had not only the spark of the divine within her, but that she herself must be divine.  Those who saw her face declared so even more strongly, but they were rare, as she often covered her hair and face with a scarf and veil.  She had discovered that her remarkable beauty was a temptation for some, a source of jealousy for others, and allowed her to exert a form of unconscious control on people that she was uncomfortable with.  Those who met her for the first time, or did not know of her, assumed that she hid a horribly scarred or disfigured face, unless informed otherwise.  Celestine rarely took that task upon herself, content to let them believe what they would as long as it did not interfere with her ability to help and heal others.  Whether they believed that her beauty and gift for healing went hand in hand, or that her skills were compensation for a gross disfigurement, did not concern her.

Appearance
Her father dressed her all in white as a child, and she continued to do so on her own after his passing.  The purity of the color was not the only reason she chose to continue the trend; she covered herself literally from head to toe, so it was beneficial in the hotter months of the year.  Even the scarf she wrapped around her head to cover her hair, and the veil she wore that covered all but her blue eyes, were white.  She kept them clean, though the knees of all her clothes were visibly worn, the result of frequent prayer.  She kneeled on a prayer cloth that she always carried with her, which served to make everywhere from a river bank to a palace hall a holy place for her, as well as to keep her robes clean.  She wore long sleeved dresses and robes, but forewent any gloves, believing that a healer should do a healer’s work with their bare hands.  And Celestine’s hands were talented, as well as graceful, in every task.  She disliked armor and never wore it unless absolutely necessary, and even then she wore a simple, minimal covering.  She abhorred violence, and she believed that her god would protect her if she were ever in mortal danger.  She carried a small and simple dagger which the church insisted she have for her protection, but which she never used, and a solid wooden staff in which she was moderately skilled as a method of defense. 
As she has covered herself completely, all that could be seen were her sky blue eyes and her fair skinned hands.  A closer inspection, in the proper lighting, could allow a curious looker to see the features of her face behind her veil, for she never removed it unless the situation did not allow its presence.   

Royalty(?)
The only adornment she wore was a simple ring on her finger.  A crest?  An inscription?  From a long fallen kingdom (500 or so years ago), and she is the only living descendant.  The crest or ancient language of the inscription marks her as a descendant of the royal family.  The crest is a family crest, or the inscription is something that denoted a member of the royal house at that time.  Maybe the names of the kings, including the name of the last heir who escaped the destruction of the kingdom, changed his name, married, etc.  Celestine is a descendant of the last prince, but she does not know the language or the history, and is unaware of the meaning of the ring. 

Unbeknownst to her, or even to her father, Celestine is the last surviving descendant of an old kingdom that fell over 500 years ago.  Prince Orsino, a youth in his early twenties, was the only survivor of the kingdom of Illyria.  By a lucky chance, he had gone out hunting the night before.  Word of the death of his family came to him in the early dawn hours, sped by a group of faithful members of the Royal Guard.  They urged him not to return to seek vengeance, that he would only be killed.  Rival cousins, intent on power, had slaughtered not only his family, but all loyal supporters they could find.  They would certainly be out to hunt him down as well.  He reluctantly agreed, knowing that it would be better to wait quietly by until the time was ripe to reclaim his kingdom.  So he changed his name, and began a new life in a small town, far outside of his broken kingdom.  The remnants of the Royal Guard vowed to watch over him, from a distance, until the right opportunity presented itself.  But something happened they did not expect – the prince fell in love.  Time passed, and the prince and his wife had children.  To protect his family, he did not tell him of his true lineage.  No one but his faithful guards knew.  Then one day, in a hunting accident, the prince was killed, leaving no one but the underground guard faction with the knowledge that his children were heirs to the throne.  Before his last breath, he wrote a letter to his followers, swearing them to secrecy, not allowing them to tell his family who he had really been.  They were to watch over them in secret, and never reveal themselves unless necessary – until all pieces were perfectly in place, in the right time, with a suitable heir.  To his family he left an emblem of his lineage, a gold ring with the symbol of his family, old and, with the fall of the kingdom, forbidden.  On the inside of the band was inscribed his family name, and their ancient motto, in an already old language that only the nobility still cared to learn, and which he had not taught to his family.  500 years passed, and the ring had gone from father to son, losing all meaning apart from an old family heirloom, until it reached Kent Hastings, who passed it on to his only child, a daughter.  And for 500 years the Illyria Royal Guard had taught the story and had passed down the sworn duty, though few still remained.  And just as they had watched over her ancestors, they secretly, quietly watched over Celestine.  It is the first time that only a daughter was born to the current heir, and if Celestine falls, the line is ended.  They are little more than distant watchers now.

Divine(?)
Possibly really IS divine.  An earthly descendant.  Marked by a birthmark?  On her back, which is always covered so on one has seen it, or on the back of her neck, which is usually covered by her hair or her scarf.  The mark is the shape of the visual representation of the god, that all the women in her family have carried (so her mother was also a descendant).  Maybe it even works as an active detect evil ability, if the evil subject is near by (like really near by, sitting next to her, or talking to her, not “somewhere in the town”). Also maybe not a main deity, but like, the descendant of the goddess daughter of Pelor and not Pelor himself.

In Game
She eschews physical possessions beyond what she needs to survive.  She prefers solving problems with words than with blades.  She will help her comrades in combat if pressed, but refuses to kill when there are other options.  She prays for every fallen enemy after battle (even before seeing to the health of her comrades), will not “loot” the bodies, but will not stop others from doing so.  Takes only enough money to cover her basic living expenses and to offer a tithe to the church, but will not accept any more than that.  Having lived a mostly sheltered life, she is naïve to the ways of the world, and her innocence works in her favor as often as against.  She is fair and just, but also kind and compassionate.  She has a gift for seeing through the lies of others, but has a great understanding when they are rightfully justified, and forgiveness even when they are not.  She loves all things equally, except for her father and her god, whom she faithfully carries far above all others in her heart.  Many men love her for her gentleness and her beauty, though none in her town would dare to impress themselves upon her, nor has she ever granted any womanly favors to any man.  The womanly arts of flirtation and seduction are unknown to her; she is simply herself in all ways. 

Lord Infinata
Global Moderator
Bard

Favorite drink
Martini

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 07:58:43 AM »

THere's a lot of material here, enough to inspire a story when you retire her from the game system.

You have done well describing Kahlen, a character in Terry Goodkind's books. If you aren't interested in picking these up you can watch Legend of the Seeker on syndication which adapts them (but consider reading them, my wife loves them after watching the show). Since Kahlen is one of the more successful aspects of the Goodking story, I would think yours would be as well, considering you presumably knew nothing about the story. But the parallels are uncanny:

"the last surviving descendant of an old kingdom"
"she is simply herself in all ways"
dressed all in white (at first)

you should have fun playing her, esp being a departure from your normal "Callisto" style characters.

- Knowledge not shared is useless.
Kris
Bard

Favorite drink
Water

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 09:04:11 AM »

I have never read a Terry Goodkind book, so I came up with it all myself.

You don't think the beauty angle is too much?  That's the part I'm most worried about.  That it'll come across as really silly and stupid.  "Oh, I'm so beautiful that I hide my face so my looks don't influence people."  Is that too much?  I could turn it around and make her deformed, I guess.....  I just sort of wanted her to look like this angelic creature, but to hide it away, because she didn't want it to interfere with her healing work, etc.

Lord Infinata
Global Moderator
Bard

Favorite drink
Martini

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 09:51:52 AM »

Honestly, I think the only way this could work is if your (female) character had the highest charisma rating in the party; otherwise there will be "p-envy" as my compatriots would say.

Also, if anyone in the party has read a Goodkind novel, you could be called on it. There are worse accusations out there, just tell them what you said here.

- Knowledge not shared is useless.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Subscribe to d5 ezine

Return to d5 main page.

Java Fireworks

Ξ•Ξ d5 HOME. ΕΠd5 & dime SHOP ΕΠCHAT room ΕΠWiccaWIKI ΕΠBLOG ΕΠVIBE ΕΠwebmaster ΕΠThe Realm Ξ•Ξ

Dementia Five - The Realm is a privately owned online publishing community for artists and writers. The opinions expressed are those of the authors of the articles posted on this website and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Dementia Five Publishing House. Publication on this website should not be considered an endorsement, and may or may not have copywritten origins. d5 will not be held liable for any damage arising under this disclaimer, or in connection with this website or auxillary websites in the dementia5 domain. d5 does not claim ownership of member posted content outside of posts by the owners, nor do we claim responsibility for said content. Use of this forum, constitutes agreement with these terms which can be suspended at any time by the owners of the website at their discretion. By using our website, you accept this disclaimer in full.