Subscribe to d5 ezine

ΕΠd5 HOME ΕΠd5 & dime SHOP ΕΠCHAT room ΕΠWiccaWIKI ΕΠBLOG ΕΠVIBE ΕΠwebmaster ΕΠThe Realm Ξ•Ξ

Welcome to the d5 forum! This serves as a community board for discussing all things fantasy, whether it be role-playing, publishing, arts, folklore and literature (including comics, manga, anime, collectible cards...) YOU are here because YOU are a fan of the extravagant and unexplainable, along with the rest of us. Virtually all you see here has something to do with anything and everything imaginative, inspiring and socially relevant.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Work sucks and I want whiskey... that is all  (Read 6066 times)
Juggernaut1981
Scribe

Favorite drink
Limoncello

Email
« on: July 23, 2009, 08:42:52 PM »

*points at topic title*

Heroic Fantasy RPG - Author
Lord Infinata
Global Moderator
Bard

Favorite drink
Martini

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 10:11:54 PM »

Jameson is good material... Maker's Mark also never disappoints. Tell us, what went down today at work?

- Knowledge not shared is useless.
Juggernaut1981
Scribe

Favorite drink
Limoncello

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 11:11:25 PM »

Oh I just work for one of those giant soul-less multinational corporations that seem to attract jackasses that expect everyone around them to be a combination of a machine and a mind-reader.  The kind that believe that when you cover a document in red ink changes... that constitutes a "reworking" of the old draft, rather than what it more obviously is... a NEW draft...

I generally aim for 15+ yrs and single malt, not that fussed which distillery...

If I could ensure my mortgage would be paid and instead write games full time, I think I'd probably quit (or just poorly perform and wait to be fired) and write... at least I wouldn't have to listen to long demoralising speeches about "how you suck and can't write emails" or some other such nonsense.

Lord Infinata
Global Moderator
Bard

Favorite drink
Martini

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 08:27:47 AM »

The usual suspects are Glenlivet and Glenfiddich, but the cost of Glenlivet has been rising steadily over the years. However, I prefer GLenlivet to GLenfiddich... just not enough to cover the $15 delta.

Glen Garioch is good for the money. Glenmorangie and Cragganmore are good. One of my favorites is  Balvenie, whose smoothness is particularly noticable at the higher ages... but you're going to pay for it (~$75).

yourfriendandy
Scribe

Favorite drink
Weiss Beer

Balls.

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 01:27:52 AM »

I just love a delicious brew.

http://comicattack.net

GO BILLS!! GO FALCONS!! GO SABRES!! GO WILD!!
Juggernaut1981
Scribe

Favorite drink
Limoncello

Email
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 08:02:45 PM »

Yep, another day confirming my thoughts that if I could make $60k a year writing (before tax) I'd quit this racket I'm doing, give a big "one-finger salute" to the usual corporate grind and become a writer (or something else)...

*tempted to "irish" up my coffee during the day*

gamerprinter
Bard

Favorite drink
Raki

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 08:53:13 PM »

I'm lucky and unlucky to some degree on this point of yours.

The unlucky part... I'm allergic to alcohol. If I drink a little, I'm hammered and sick. If I drink a lot, I'm a dead man. So I don't drink, not for almost 20 years. I do "other things" instead...

The lucky part... I work for myself already (or rather for the family) in the family business, a small graphic design, digital printing and sign company (I do other things, but that pretty much describes the bulk of it.) So I'm doing what I'm good at which is professional art and creation on a quick turn-around - for mostly mundance purposes.

The direction I want to go is what I'm trying to do with Kaidan - work on my own publication, and just a handful of consistent publishers doing cartography work. And so making $60K+ before taxes... if that happens, no more local customers.

GP

For me, I'm tired of working for local clients, some are good, some are a pain
Juggernaut1981
Scribe

Favorite drink
Limoncello

Email
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 06:45:00 AM »

Well, in random other stuff... my brother got married on the weekend...

Lord Infinata
Global Moderator
Bard

Favorite drink
Martini

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 07:34:32 AM »

Pretty much woke up to this. Weird seeing whiskey as the first word of the day.

Keeping the thread on task, did they serve at your brother's wedding? Had a college reunion cook-out yesterday. Hazy, hot and humid, but there was a pool and lots of refreshing brew... varieties much like the selections in the other thread.

Juggernaut1981
Scribe

Favorite drink
Limoncello

Email
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 06:02:37 PM »

No, with a couple of reformed alco's in the relatively close family and a good handful of "Teetotaller" Conservatives in the wider family these sorts of functions tend to be kind of dry.  There was a bit here, and a bit there, but no.  Also, in general I'm trying to stay on speaking terms with my liver so I've cut back from the 24+ beers per week + 5+ bottles of red... I'm going back to love handles (as opposed to a "Love Verandah/Porch") and waking up most days without the need to skin my tongue with a hunting knife.  So all in all, being "semi-arid" is working for me.

Martin Ekdahl
Rhymer

Favorite drink
Weiss Beer

I'm one of the two guys behind the Naaghablog.

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 05:53:30 AM »

*points at topic title*

Why not combine both and start working at a whiskey factory?

Naagha - Free fantasy online
Hedgeknight
Rhymer

Favorite drink
Whiskey

feedie99
WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 07:43:15 AM »

Drink up, brother! I recommend Buffalo Trace - goes down smooth and then knocks you on your (butt)!!
Martin Ekdahl
Rhymer

Favorite drink
Weiss Beer

I'm one of the two guys behind the Naaghablog.

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 10:23:57 AM »

Two names: Ardbeg and Laphroaig ... that is all

Naagha - Free fantasy online
Lord Infinata
Global Moderator
Bard

Favorite drink
Martini

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 08:05:08 AM »

I like to revisit this thread from time to time... I tried a new (to me) single malt the other day:

Tyrconnel

a delicious and surprisingly smooth liquor with a dynamite aftertaste.

here's a review form a pretty good source for those who appreciate the finer things:

http://www.accidentalhedonist.com/index.php/2007/11/20/whiskey_tasting_notes_tyrconnell

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Subscribe to d5 ezine

Return to d5 main page.

Java Fireworks

Ξ•Ξ d5 HOME. ΕΠd5 & dime SHOP ΕΠCHAT room ΕΠWiccaWIKI ΕΠBLOG ΕΠVIBE ΕΠwebmaster ΕΠThe Realm Ξ•Ξ

Dementia Five - The Realm is a privately owned online publishing community for artists and writers. The opinions expressed are those of the authors of the articles posted on this website and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Dementia Five Publishing House. Publication on this website should not be considered an endorsement, and may or may not have copywritten origins. d5 will not be held liable for any damage arising under this disclaimer, or in connection with this website or auxillary websites in the dementia5 domain. d5 does not claim ownership of member posted content outside of posts by the owners, nor do we claim responsibility for said content. Use of this forum, constitutes agreement with these terms which can be suspended at any time by the owners of the website at their discretion. By using our website, you accept this disclaimer in full.