Subscribe to d5 ezine

ΕΠd5 HOME ΕΠd5 & dime SHOP ΕΠCHAT room ΕΠWiccaWIKI ΕΠBLOG ΕΠVIBE ΕΠwebmaster ΕΠThe Realm Ξ•Ξ

Welcome to the d5 forum! This serves as a community board for discussing all things fantasy, whether it be role-playing, publishing, arts, folklore and literature (including comics, manga, anime, collectible cards...) YOU are here because YOU are a fan of the extravagant and unexplainable, along with the rest of us. Virtually all you see here has something to do with anything and everything imaginative, inspiring and socially relevant.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sword and Sorcery  (Read 3140 times)
Animan
Scribe

Favorite drink
HotTea

« on: February 25, 2009, 09:37:46 AM »

Is this a proper place for tales of sword and sorcery, i.e. Conan, Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, Kull and the like?

"Chaotic Neutral means never having to say you're sorry."
Atreides

Favorite drink
AmerettoSour

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 08:41:58 AM »

While I'm not one to try and pigeonhole others, medieval fantasy probably refers more to the fantasy of people dwelling in the medieval period. I was going to say like the faerie Queene, but that's actually Elizabethan, though written and conceptualised in an archaic way. Though it certainly seems more in the spirit of medieval fantasy than straight D&D style fantasy which isn't actually set in the medieval period, it's just at that level of technology.

Truly medieval fantasy would be Dante or pre Mallory arthurian traditions, or The Charlemagne cycle. Maybe this should be about fantasy set in the real world medieval period, The castle of Otranto, Keats and other poets who've dealt withthe  period, islamic medival fantasy would be an interesting topic too. HEck bythat definition, lots of Shakespeare would be up for discussion.

Also Howards' creations aren't even vaguley medieval they're "hyborian" of an age before recorded history, just because they have swords and horses doesn't mean they have any thing to do with the middle ages the period of eurasian history after the dark ages and before the renaissance.

Lord Infinata
Global Moderator
Bard

Favorite drink
Martini

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 10:28:17 AM »

While I'm not one to try and pigeonhole others, medieval fantasy probably refers more to the fantasy of people dwelling in the medieval period. I was going to say like the faerie Queene, but that's actually Elizabethan, though written and conceptualised in an archaic way. Though it certainly seems more in the spirit of medieval fantasy than straight D&D style fantasy which isn't actually set in the medieval period, it's just at that level of technology.

Truly medieval fantasy would be Dante or pre Mallory arthurian traditions, or The Charlemagne cycle. Maybe this should be about fantasy set in the real world medieval period, The castle of Otranto, Keats and other poets who've dealt withthe  period, islamic medival fantasy would be an interesting topic too. HEck bythat definition, lots of Shakespeare would be up for discussion.

Also Howards' creations aren't even vaguley medieval they're "hyborian" of an age before recorded history, just because they have swords and horses doesn't mean they have any thing to do with the middle ages the period of eurasian history after the dark ages and before the renaissance.

Charlemagne for sure, and it's nice to see Dante get some credit here... I would have placed Shakespeare as much in pre-industrial feudal history as say, Yeats with Fey driven stories; in other words, not too far off.

I hear you on Hyboria, but really, I think it is safe to say Howard drew a lot of influences from Medieval times. I suppose by that definition, sword and sorcery (to me anyhow) represents the feudal times of pillage and conquer... a good backdrop for swords and sorcery.

- Knowledge not shared is useless.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Subscribe to d5 ezine

Return to d5 main page.

Java Fireworks

Ξ•Ξ d5 HOME. ΕΠd5 & dime SHOP ΕΠCHAT room ΕΠWiccaWIKI ΕΠBLOG ΕΠVIBE ΕΠwebmaster ΕΠThe Realm Ξ•Ξ

Dementia Five - The Realm is a privately owned online publishing community for artists and writers. The opinions expressed are those of the authors of the articles posted on this website and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Dementia Five Publishing House. Publication on this website should not be considered an endorsement, and may or may not have copywritten origins. d5 will not be held liable for any damage arising under this disclaimer, or in connection with this website or auxillary websites in the dementia5 domain. d5 does not claim ownership of member posted content outside of posts by the owners, nor do we claim responsibility for said content. Use of this forum, constitutes agreement with these terms which can be suspended at any time by the owners of the website at their discretion. By using our website, you accept this disclaimer in full.